Re: script to determine the folder name?

2003-03-06 19:28:31
On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:01:15 -0500, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
=> New?  Awww... ya hurt mah feelins!

        Sorry. Actually I wasn't referring to you (the poster)
but to the average person learning procmail. It would have been
quite rude to specifically refer back to you in reply using the
third person.

=> Heck, page 576 of my book
        <snip>

        What a shameless plug. <grin>

=> P.S.  Just kidding about having my feelings hurt.

        I know. Just kidding about the shameless plug.

=> It's a feature
=> that new and old alike are often unaware of.

        Makes me continue to wonder: "Why is that?" - in my mind,
it's quite regrettable.

        As someone who wrote his first line of commercial code in
1969, I was staggered that procmail had no apparent way of
IF/THEN conditionals or passing data as I initially learned
procmail just a few years back. Everything I saw/read was obtuse
and made procmail look so convoluted, rigid, arcane and extremely
difficult to work with. Not being a *nix type, it was even more
difficult for me.

        Once I found this mailing list (Jan 02) and later a great
book, The Procmail Companion, and then learned that I could
create, test, and manipulate variable data, procmail made much
more sense and it now seems to work quite well for me.

        Without the use of variables, I'd still be struggling and
screaming and totally exasperated. Now I look to other things
internet to provide that for me.

        Just a rant,

        - Don