Re: mysql & green/black list

2003-03-18 12:29:27
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 01:58:00PM -0500, David Turley wrote:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:37:56 +0100 Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com>
wrote:

# for the whitelist
* ? ($FORMAIL -x From: -x Sender: -x Resent-From: | $FGREP -iqf
$FRIENDS)

You really should think about employing either the -x or at least the
-w option to fgrep.

Suppose you have me, dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com, in your whitelist.  Now
suppose
that the mythical feldman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com writes you for the first
time.
You wouldn't want him to be whitelisted, would you?

Doesn't seem to work that way for me. I have lots of specific aol
addresses in my whitelist, but other aol addresses don't get passed
automatically.  The whitelist check is the irst thing I do, after
virii checks, and otehr aol mail goes thru the rest of the filters.

It absolutely would work that way.  I knew it would, but I just tested
it anyway.  It did what I said.

Here is my (your) recipe, from my test harness:

 FRIENDS=.friends
 :0
 * ? (formail -x From: -x Sender: -x Resent-From: | fgrep -iqf $FRIENDS)
 { LOG = "$NL The action succeeded. $NL $NL" }

I took the email you replied to, which had my given name and email address
in the From: field, and ran that through.  Naturally, it succeeded.
Then I edited "dman@" in the From: header to "feldman@" and ran the
message through again.  It still succeeded.  Then I added the `w'
flag to fgrep in the recipe above.  It would then only work with
"dman@", not "feldman@", "goldman@", or "anything-elsedman@".

It would still pass with "string-dman@", i.e., with the hyphen;
or with a dot or other non-alphanumeric.  The -x flag is best,
but then you will have to strip out < and > from your formail
results to have a sure match.

--
dman