Re: delivery notification on client?

2003-04-11 11:49:11

On Tuesday, Apr 8, 2003, at 21:03 US/Pacific, Jim Correia wrote:
How do people normally deal the situation of getting notification on the MUA machine that mail has been delivered to an arbitrary mail folder on the server? (Check by hand? Use a client that polls all folders? Some other solution?)

For me, I wrote a script called "fom" (figure of merit, a Navy sonar term ... and also the way I used to always typo writing 'from') that scans all of the mail folders I tell it to (as well as polling my news server and a legacy bbs from my college days) and tells me how many "new" messages I have. But it has to run on the server, and depends upon me being able to get right at the server data (I run UW-IMAP right now, and when I switch over to CommuniGate Pro, I expect I'll have to find a different solution). I run it from my laptop via ssh. I may replace that with running it via finger, but I'm concerned about privacy on that level (since it will allow anyone to find out what mailing lists I'm subscribed to and stuff, as well as the general "finger helps crackers find info about users" problem).

There's also NotifyMail (I think that's what it's called, and I think it runs on Windows and Mac OS X, but I'm not sure about other platforms). It's a program that sits on your client machine and listens on port 79 (fingerd). It basically turns "finger user(_at_)client" into a mail delivery notification. You tell the mail server that when you get new mail, it should "finger user(_at_)client". NotifyMail catches that and gives you a pop-up alert.

I don't know if there's any way for NotifyMail to tell you which folder or anything like that, or keep a running total. And certainly if the client machine is asleep or off, you'll miss those notifications, so it's not perfect. I'm sure you could easily set up a procmail rule for doing the finger, though.

(what Mail.app ought to do is use the IMAP "Listen" command (I think that's the command name), which puts that stream into a passive mode where the IMAP server just sends any new message announcements uninterrupted until the IMAP client says otherwise; Mail.app could open a separate stream/socket (since it already does 1 stream per folder), and just keep listening for new messages showing up and updating folders when they do)