Re: delivery notification on client?

2003-04-10 23:24:50

On Thursday, Apr 10, 2003, at 22:52 US/Pacific, LuKreme wrote:

On Tuesday, Apr 8, 2003, at 22:03 Canada/Mountain, Jim Correia wrote:
The MUA only polls the INBOX for new mail.

One of Mail.app's more annoying failings.

You might have success with adding the "offline" and "online" buttons to your toolbar. When you want to poll your mail, simply click "offline" pause "online."

Although this USED to work fine for me, it no longer seems to be working.

Yeah. I've reported it to Apple as a bug, and they said they were aware of it and evaluating a solution. Lord only knows if/when they'll fix it.

I tend to use an external program to count up unread messages in my mail folders and report them back to me. Then I know which folders to check manually. But that requires having regular/easy access to the server's IMAP folders (which is not necessarily a good thing, if you think about it like an ADT).

The online/offline trick is still _mostly_ accurate, but you're right that it's less accurate than it used to be. It seems to still find messages in folders you haven't checked in a while, but not in ones you've checked recently. Otherwise, the only sure thing is to quit Mail.app and restart it.