Re: delivery notification on client?

2003-04-10 20:38:47
On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 08:09  PM, Andrew Edelstein wrote:

Every IMAP client I've ever used would check any folder/s I want for new mail. All you have to do is tell your MUA to "subscribe" to the folders you want checked. (Or rather, tell you rserver you are subscribed to the folder. Any IMAP client that connects to that account after that will check all your
subscribed folders.)

What IMAP clients have you used?

None of the clients I have experience with do that. (Actually they all do at startup, but not on the periodic mail check. I do know of one that does it periodically for my platform, but I am not interested in using that client at this time for other reasons.)

I'm not even sure there is a good way to do it in IMAP for an arbitrary number of folders. Maintaining N connections to the IMAP sever to monitor N folders can be expensive if N is large. The IMAP STATUS command will give you the answer that you need to update the unread count for the mailbox, but the IMAP spec specifically says that STATUS is not guaranteed to be a lightweight operation, so it is probably unwise to run STATUS on N mailboxes every M minutes if N is large and you have more than a few users on your server.

I still don't have a solution that doesn't feel clunky. (I'd prefer not to have to filter on the client, except for spam filtering, because this means synchronizing filters between at least 2 clients.)

Jim