Re: delivery notification on client?

2003-04-10 11:56:43
Nancy wrote,

> Someone else mailed me that they also do this type of thing.  And it's
> something that I've thought about doing too.  David (or anyone who
> does this), could you post a followup here with the recipe(s) that
> you use to do this?  I'll then link to it on my Procmail Quick Start.
> My guess is that this will be useful to a lot of people.

The trouble is that it's too hard to generalize.

Part 1 is server-dependent.  On Ripco I drop the notification into
$DEFAULT (or could; I actually use a different folder but really ought
to change that). But on Panix I need to feed it to mail.lmtp to put it into my IMAP inbox, which is on a different server.

Part 2 is client-dependent.  You have to get the name of the folder into
one of the headers that your MUA displays on its index screen, ideally
one that it will sort on so that messages in the same folder will be
displayed together and you can gauge how many there are in each.  I
imagine that one way would be to prefix the folder name to the subject
(to think of the recipes I have undoing that very thing for mail I get
through lists).

Then there are the user choices: for example, do you want a logabstract for the notification? If so, do you want it in your regular logfile or a different one?

So I'd really be unable to come up with a one-size-fits-all group of recipes for it.

> I dream of an IMAP/NNTP client that does the best of
> Pine/Mulberry/Mozilla, but currently I need all of them to get all
> the features that I want.

You switch among three IMAP clients?  I'm having enough trouble
adjusting to my second one!