Re: delivery notification on client?

2003-04-10 17:41:28
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 04:52:32PM +0100, Nancy McGough wrote:
On 9 Apr 2003 David W. Tamkin (dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com) wrote:

I have procmail drop a note (giving the sender, the subject, and the
folder where the message was filed) into a special folder on the same
server.  When I read email, I check that notifications folder to find
out which of my other IMAP folders has new email.

Someone else mailed me that they also do this type of thing. And
it's something that I've thought about doing too. David (or
anyone who does this), could you post a followup here with the
recipe(s) that you use to do this? I'll then link to it on my
Procmail Quick Start. My guess is that this will be useful to a
lot of people.

Maybe I'm still having a little trouble understanding the original problem,
but I fail to see why having procmail go to all this extra work of delivering
an ADDITIONAL message, just to tell you you have a message, is useful.
Every IMAP client I've ever used would check any folder/s I want for new mail.
All you have to do is tell your MUA to "subscribe" to the folders you want
checked. (Or rather, tell you rserver you are subscribed to the folder. Any
IMAP client that connects to that account after that will check all your
subscribed folders.)

--
Andrew Edelstein        -       http://andrew.pure-chaos.com/resume.txt

Please do not reply directly to me, or Cc: me on a reply to a list message.
I'll get my copy from the list.