Re: delivery notification on client?

2003-04-10 09:41:10
On 9 Apr 2003 David W. Tamkin (dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com) wrote:

I have procmail drop a note (giving the sender, the subject, and the
folder where the message was filed) into a special folder on the same
server.  When I read email, I check that notifications folder to find
out which of my other IMAP folders has new email.

Someone else mailed me that they also do this type of thing. And
it's something that I've thought about doing too. David (or
anyone who does this), could you post a followup here with the
recipe(s) that you use to do this? I'll then link to it on my
Procmail Quick Start. My guess is that this will be useful to a
lot of people.

Nancy's solution would not work well for me, because my IMAP server is
not my own local machine but rather one at an ISP where I have an
account -- actually, two IMAP servers at two different ISPs, and I have
one such notification folders at each account.

This is my situation also and I use tail for notification only
when I'm working on the Net. When I first log in, I usually fire
up Mulberry, which very nicely summarizes all the messages in all
my zillions of IMAP mailboxes. I talk about Mulberry a bit in the
"Tracking" section of my Quick Start. As you can see from the
Message-ID of this message, I mainly use Pine for sending
messages and Mulberry is so far just a companion to Pine. I dream
of an IMAP/NNTP client that does the best of
Pine/Mulberry/Mozilla, but currently I need all of them to get
all the features that I want.

Thanks,
Nancy

--