Re: Error while writing to "/usr/sbin/sendmail"

2003-04-23 03:57:38
Hi Dallman,

Thanks for your reply!

Are you sure sendmail is in /usr/sbin?

Yes, I've asked my sys admin about that 3 times already!

Does procmail run on the same machine you are testing on, or is it
installed separately on a mailserver you don't have execute perms on?

I'm trying to find out. Unfortunately, my sys admin is not very procmail
savvy. He didn't even know that it was installed. I first tried to use
procmail by setting up a .forward file, but nothing happened. Then I
deleted .forward, and suddenly it kicked in!

Btw, the space at the end of the first line of your ORed addressess,
before the continuation slash, is a significant space.  Thus,
ticketcharge.com.sg will never match unless there is a space
in front of it.

On the other hand, spaces *after* a continuation slash (but before
any other char) are not significant.  So you could have:

      * ^From.*(whatever|@ntuc.org.sg|\
                ticketcharge.com.sg|whatever)

I'm sorry, but I thought it was the other way around.

On <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/> it says

"if the last characters on a line are space followed by backslash ( \), it
means continue the current line with the text on the next line and ignore
the trailing space, backslash (\), and newline characters"

I once left a space after the slash, and then exactly what you describe
happened.

Also, you should consider quoting the dots\.  One day you'll get a bum
match and you'll spend a few hours trying to figure out why, e.g.,
"ticketchargescomisg.pk" got through.

Point taken. I'm just a bit lazy. :-(

I will do it at some stage, though.

Thanks again!

Helmer

***************

Helmer ASLAKSEN
Department of Mathematics
National University of Singapore
Singapore 117543
Singapore

aslaksen(_at_)math(_dot_)nus(_dot_)edu(_dot_)sg
<www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/>

phone: +65 6874-2746
fax: +65 6779-5452

My web site on the Chinese calendar: