Re: Embedded comments

2003-05-24 11:05:51

Here's what I just started using at the beginning of this month:

# 20030501/0809 SBS
# Hokey HTML commenting
#
:0
* < 25000
* -10^0
* 1^1 B ?? (<!--)
{
        SPAMVAL="+175"
        SPAMMISHNESS="${SPAMMISHNESS}${SPAMVAL}"
SPAMNOTES="${SPAMNOTES}SPAM: ${SPAMVAL} Advisory - abundance of HTML comments${NL}"
}

I allow for a few such comments, but not many. I don't honestly think you should need to worry about maching them up with their closing construct.

If you're on lists which exchange HTML source code often, you may need to make considerations (as comments are legitimatley inserted when discussing code). Though I'm not on many lists doing HTML (and I despise HTML emails in general, though included HTML _code_ is a different matter), the above rule certainly hasn't yet hammered anything it shouldn't have.

I've noted a fair number of the spams have singleword comment fields, which should match:

(I haven't used that, but if you do, it may need some tweaking).

If I were to implement such a filter, I'd jack up the score on the single-word comments, since they're especially bogus in nature.