Re: Question on restricting incoming mail from Mail Lists

2003-07-05 10:06:58
On Friday, Jul 4, 2003, at 21:53 Canada/Mountain, Noarmun E. Mailer wrote:
I have set up one email address per email list and want to use procmail
to filter out any item that comes in to my email address that does NOT
come from the email list address.  Like this list.

So, you have an email address like "procmail(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)tld" and you have another email address "listfive(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)tld" ?

First question is, does your mail end up in the same local account on your machine? If so, then you need to do a little more work. If not, it's simple.

~procmail/.procmailrc
:0:
* ^List-Id:(.*\<)?procmail.lists
procmail

:0:
possible-spam

~listfive/.procmailrc
:0:
* ^List-Id:(.*\<)?some.random..list
procmail

:0:
possible-spam

if you dump into one common acount locally then you ill have o see where the "procmail(_at_)mydoamin(_dot_)tld" or "Listfive(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)tld" appear in your headers. Something like this:

~unifiedaccount/.procmailrc
:0:
* ^Received:(_dot_)*procmail(_at_)mydoamin(_dot_)tld
* ^List-Id:(.*\<)?procmail.lists
procmail

~listfive/.procmailrc
:0:
* ^Received:(_dot_)*listfive(_at_)mydoamin(_dot_)tld
* ^List-Id:(.*\<)?some.random..list
procmail

:0:
possible-spam

of course, this does nothing about people who reply to you instead of the list, or reply to you AND the list. I do something similar myself; everything that comes to my list email address and doesn't hit a list gets dumped into the "List Replies" mbox.

--
"Here comes sunrise. Yeah, here's your sunrise. I used to hide from the sun, tried to live my whole life underground, why'd you have to rise and ruin all my fun? Just turn over; close the curtains on the day."