RE: Question on restricting incoming mail from Mail Lists

2003-07-05 10:26:08
At 23:51 2003-07-04 -0700, Noarmun E. Mailer did say:
...no, I'm not using a wildcard and then trying to kludge procmail into
sorting it all out.

I didn't say you were. What I suggested was that a great many people who have gobs of addresses are simply wildcarding their domain at the MTA level (lots of hosting outfits set things up this way for their customers, so as to reduce the number of edits necessary on the part of that client). If the MTA configuration is as I described, then when someone sends a message to:

        supercalafrigidexpletivealoquacious(_at_)netgods(_dot_)us

it'll be _accepted_ by your server and delivered into your account. Even though you didn't set up anything explicitly to accept mail for that address.

If you're actually configuring your MTA with _each_individual_ alias, then that's great - your MTA will reject mail directed to addresses which weren't specifically configured.

I have one inbox per email list right now.

Physical inbox (i.e. separate mail account), or simply separate incoming address at your domain, but which is aliased to the same account?

Someone who gets the subscription email address can then spam into my list inboxes. I simply want to block mail that doesn't come from the list.

As David has already pointed out, you'll ditch legitimate offlist replies if you take that route.

What I'm trying to point out though is that if you're going to limit mail according to SENDER, you really shouldn't need to limit it according to recipient. Certainly, there can be times when that is appropriate, but is really isn't for what you're trying to do - when a _spammer_ spams you (or, as David said, when someone legitimately mails you offlist), the Sender: won't identify the list -- and if it did, your Sender + To: logic would have been matched, and you'd have accepted the message anyway. Thus, To: is unnecessary. Further, spammers are HIGHLY unlikely to send you spam at OTHER addresses of yours, using Sender: from different lists you're subscribed to - IF they were so bright as to forge Sender: addresses to be from lists, surely they'd be forging them To: addresses which they harvested FROM those same lists?

You're really much better off employing standard spam avoidance techniques, using some good RBLs at the MTA level, and a good LDA-time filter (either a series of procmail filters, or use procmail to invoke SpamAssassin or the like).

I still use several role-based addresses, it's not for spam purposes. However, my _generic_ mailing list account is intentionally separate from my standard contact address, and that IS intentional, and spam-related - I can more freely resubscribe to lists with another address and ditch my generic list address if it becomes a liability to me - but good spam filtering has made that unnecessary thus far.

[big snip again]