Re: email -> on call paging & escalation?

2003-07-18 10:14:42
Aaron:  On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:35:36AM -0400, Birl wrote:
Aaron:  > *uggh*  Multipart messages.  For the sake of those on this list, Im
Aaron:  > trashing that multipart attachment.  I'll leave the text attachment.
Aaron:  >
Aaron:  > 1) Please configure your email client to post in plain text BEFORE (or
Aaron:  >    instead of) HTML.  We *N?X folk (Linux/UNIX) dont much like HTML
emails
Aaron:
Aaron:  Actually, I composed that on Linux using mutt.  I see you're using pine,
Aaron:  which honestly I used for years and years before I came to my senses and
Aaron:  swtiched- mostly because mutt's handling of MIME (and specifically
Aaron:  PGP/MIME which has replaced in-line PGP signatures which is all that
Aaron:  pine supports) is so much better.  But I don't want to get into a
Aaron:  pissing contest over who's mail client is better (well at least not
Aaron:  today :-)
Aaron:
Aaron:  Anyways, the MIME attachment you saw wasn't HTML crap (I hate that too),
Aaron:  but rather my RFC compliant PGP signature.  If you're not interested
Aaron:  in that sort of thing, by all means, ignore it.

Ah, yes.

    [ Part 1.2, Application/PGP-SIGNATURE  270bytes. ]
    [ Cannot display this part. Press "V" then "S" to save in a file. ]

My apologies to all for my assinine assumption.          :(
Maybe I should switch to Mutt and/or complain to Pine    :p

Aaron:  > 2) Wrong mailing list to ask that question about escalating paging.
Aaron:
Aaron:  Actually the question was about email and paging using two-way pagers
Aaron:  which have email addresses.  Yes, escalation was an important part
Aaron:  of that. Perhaps this wasn't clear enough in my original email;
Aaron:  I appologize.
Aaron:
Aaron:
Aaron:  > 3) To answer your question:  Look at Big Brother  http://www.bb4.com/
Aaron:
Aaron:  Yep, I'm familar with that.  Unfortunately, I don't want/need a
Aaron:  system/network monitoring software.  I just want something that when it
Aaron:  recieves an email (say: emergency-contact(_at_)company(_dot_)com) it
does the pager
Aaron:  escalation thing until one of the pagers emails a response "I'm on it".
Aaron:  Again, I probably wasn't clear enough.

I would think that you need some sort (mailer?) daemon that would

* email first user
* wait for response
  * while no response
    * email next user
    * sleep.  cause sleep is good.
  * if response
    * do something

But I cannot see how procmail would fit into the picture.

What about looking into how BB handles it's paging?  I believe its mostly
shell scripts.