compiling without a terminal

2003-08-09 09:38:50
On one of my accounts (where I am a user with no admin privileges), incoming
mail is handled by a machine whose OS is incompatible with that of the shell
login machine.  If I compile procmail at a shell prompt, that binary won't
run on the machine where email arrives, so if I pipe to it in my .forward,
all my mail will bounce.

There is a procmail binary at /usr/local/bin/procmail on the machine where
incoming mail is processed, but it's not the latest version, and I'd like
to upgrade it, at least for myself.

So my thought was to set up a recipe to run on the email machine when I send
myself a trigger message.  That recipe would make procmail there, but it
would be operating without a terminal.  If it hangs waiting for console input
or if it causes some major disaster, I can't log into the email machine to
stop it.

So does anyone know what would happen if I tried that?

I can't test it on my other shell account, because there, too, incoming email
is processed on a machine with no customer logins (but I can use the latest
procmail there, because the email machine and the customer shell boxes run
the same OS).

Would make</dev/null give me an idea of what might happen?