Re: Nevermind (was compiling without a terminal)

2003-08-09 11:42:38
I trust you've used 'find' or somesuch and mailed yourself the results?

You've been your own sysadmin far too long, Sean. Think of the CPU load of something like this:

 find / -name make -print 2>/dev/null | xargs ls -l

(The "2>/dev/null" is to suppress all the stderr when I can't descend into other users' directories.)

Trust instead that I've considered how quickly I'd lose my account if I tried that. (If I could get away with it, I'd put them into the procmail logfile, not mail them to myself.)

Or, depending upon the OS which the mail server is running, possibly
install it to another machine

Install what to another machine? I don't have access to anything that can produce binaries that will run on the mail server.

Here on Panix, for example, I can't log into the mail server either. But the binaries I compile on the customer shell machines will run on the mail server, so I'm fine.

... or locate someone running that OS and get
them to compile a binary for you.

That person would also have to make sure that the values I'd need compiled in for such things as PATH and ORGMAIL would appear in the binary rather than those that the procmail build process calculates for his/her system. And I'd need to get a reliable reading from uname -a as generated by procmail on a trigger message in order to say what I need.

All told, it's far more trouble than it's worth. If I had realized the "nevermind" part before posting the question, I'd not have posted it at all. The only reason I didn't is that it never occurred to me. Since they pulled that gambit, they've moved shell logins to a new machine, and I had never tried building procmail on it until this morning after my first post. It turned out that make(1) was not in $PATH on the shell login machine. With some poking around I found two versions of it, but how the heck can I do that on a machine where I have no shell access, other than a find down from /?