Re: Catching bounces/delivery errors

2003-08-27 15:45:40

Instead of pounding nails with your all-purpose procmail screwdriver, use mailman to manage your mailings. It will handle all the ounce processing on its own, freeing your time for other things.

Last time I tried to do something like this with mailman I found it gave me a lot of grief with multi-part mime messages but this was long before Mailman 2.0. Maybe things have changed?

I am in a similar situation to DZ-Jay though I have full access to the database whereas it sounds like he does not. The problem is that sometimes you need to store your list data in your own database for other business processes. It isn't always practical to try to export the list to a MLM, let it send out the newsletter and kick people off the list when a message bounces and then try to sync the modified list with the database.

And so we end up using the procmail screwdriver to hammer bounces into a parser written in your favorite scripting language...

culley