Re: Catching bounces/delivery errors

2003-08-27 18:25:05
On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 1:14 PM, DZ-Jay wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:05:28 -0600, LuKreme <kremels(_at_)kreme(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 7:55 AM, DZ-Jay wrote:
Instead of pounding nails with your all-purpose procmail screwdriver, use mailman to manage your mailings. It will handle all the ounce processing on its own, freeing your time for other things.

Hum... As I explained in a previous post, what my organization does is not a traditional mailing list like this one, its personalized advertising campaigns sent to our customers (strictly opt-in, by the way.) Our customer e-mail list reside in our enterprise commerce server's database and whenver we are going to mail, we export the most current list of addresses based on some sales or demographic criteria and feed it to a comercial bulk e-mailer, which sends a personalized e-mail to the clients.

You can still do that with mailman.

If you think mailman can broadcast personalized messages and allow an address list to be imported and also provide a list of addresses that failed, then I'll try it. But I was under the impression that mailman would not work for this.

I know at least one mailman list I am on says "this message was sent to kremels(_at_)kreme(_dot_)com" in the footers, so some degree of personalisation is certainly possible. It certainly can have user list imported and it keeps track of bounces.

BUGS: There is no conversion specification for the phase of the moon." strftime(3) man page