Re: Simplest Whitelist?

2003-11-30 10:04:49
On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 01:02:51PM +0200, Udi Mottelo wrote:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Dallman Ross wrote:

  * ? test -x "$GREEN/$RP"

      WELL  DONE  dman !
      It is fast, elegant and cool.   I like it.

 There is an assemble - where searching for inode is more expensive
 then searching in file, but no problem, I guess that you don't have
 more then thousand files.

Yup.  Thank you.  I have 233 in there right now, and that number stays
pretty close.  The expiration of addresses is a good feature, too; I
won't have cruft lying around for years from when people change email
addresses, or from one-time or short-term correspondents who then
disappear.

In belated response to Michael Wise in re. shoving the entirety of the
headers into fgrep, I believe that searching a hundred-line header for
a thousand regexes is roughly like a hundred thousand compares; while
searching a thousand lines for only one regex is roughly like a thousand
compares.  The extra ninety-nine thousand compares can take some time.
Also, I'm not entirely sure about this part, but I think Michael may
have already unknowingly incurred a subshell or $HOME wouldn't have
worked.

As Sean pointed out, fgrep doesn't take regexes.  But OK, let's change
that f to an e.  I take "simple" to mean easy to put in place and
update.  I think it's far easier to update a thousand addresses than a
thousand regexes, not all in the same exact form.  Arguably, a single
search over a thousand names is easier to wrap the mind around than is a
thousand searches over even a small search space like the headers.

I don't want to get religious about this.  If Michael finds his
algorithm useful, and his servers don't mind the effort, well, okay,
then.  I don't see the method as "simple" or "simplest," however,
as the thread subject requests.

--
dman