Re: Simplest Whitelist?

2003-11-30 13:47:55
At 13:12 2003-11-30 +0200, Udi Mottelo wrote:
>          CLEANFROM=|formail -IReply-To: -rtzxTo:

        What about the "-t" flag in formail?  Doesn't more safety to
        use the envelop address?

        1. When on a mailing list, the envelope address can be wholly
        separate from the From:, making it a fine indicator of the
        (RE)SENDER, but not of the message AUTHOR.  Since I'm infinitely
        more interested in the author of a message - particularly when
        greenlisting or processing a TWIT filter, I want to home in on
        the AUTHOR.

        2. An increasing number of mailing list implementations use a
        hash in the envelope address, so that when the message delivery
        fails, the address to which the bounce is sent can be interpreted
        in order to determine the list recipient which is bouncing.  As an
        admin at a discussion site where we have some 20K+ users, I can
        say that it gets very frustrating when we receive some useless
        bounce from a cc:Mail / Lotus Notes / MS Exchange system that
        reports a translated local username as the failed recipient, or
        which reports a final delivery address after a message has run
        through a forwarding service (OR MULTIPLE SUCH SERVICES!)

        3. I explicitly eliminate the Reply-To: header from the address
        computation so that the header isn't used in the event of a list
        which inserts a Reply-To header for directing replies to the list.

        4. -t IS in there: -rtzxTo: