Re: Simplest Whitelist?

2003-11-27 15:08:20
On Nov 27, 2003, at 11:45 AM, Dallman Ross wrote:

That seems tremendously wasteful to me.

It isn't.
And it allows you to whitelist based on ANYTHING in the headers at all.

Some headers, for example, typical ones to this list, are often over 100 lines long in and of
themselves.

Procmail has already stored it all in memory.
The biggest performance hit is in launching fgrep in the first place.
Everything else (EVERYthing) pales into insignificance.
Especially if you have to do funky evals such as would be required to process a "|", ferinstance.

It's not as inefficient as it looks at first.

Certainly you don't need to bother checking the X-Mailer:, Date:, Received:, etc., headers of every incoming mail
for the names of people in your whitelist.

The Received: header?
Are you sure about that?
That's one of the more common reasons for exceptions.

Customer may have a website on a server that finds itself on a DNSBL, ferinstance....

Moreover, the same problem I alluded to just a moment ago with the other contributor's recipe holds here: you will falsely overmatch on supersets
of strings in your whitelist.

It is in YOUR power to decide what matches, Sir.
If you specify a poorly-chosen regexp, please don't blame me.
Blame the author of the regexp.

The Subject: of this thread is the "Simplest Whitelist".

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Aloha mai Nai`a!
--
"Please have your Internet License             http://kapu.net/~mjwise/