Real Virus Scanner

2004-02-06 21:54:21
Hello again,

My apologies in advance if this has been asked before (I'm willing to bet it has but I've yet to find a real usable search engine for this list).

Does anyone know of a virus scanner that works with procmail in a manner similar to how SpamAssassin works with it?

I love the simplicity of just feeding a message to SpamAssassoin, and then dealing with it as you wish in procmail.

I also love the simplicity of apps like Norton AntiVirus - just update the definitions regularly (daily in times of crisis, hourly in times of therapy), and it takes care of itself.

The combination of these two models seems really REALLY natural to me, but I can't find anything that seems to do the job.

It seams it would be rather trivial for a company like Symantec (or anyone else who knows what they're doing) to release 1) a binary to feed messages through ala SpamAssassin, 2) a virus definitions file for it to work from, and 3) a virus definitions update utility to be triggered by a cron job.

So I ask... is anything like this out there? and if not, does anyone know of a good reason for why this hasn't been done?

Virus catching procmail recipes are all well and good, but I'm sick and tired of spending a day or two babysitting the procmail log to make sure my recipe is working, and adjusting it every 3 seconds for the latest strain. It's time to hand it off to another utility, and just use procmail for final sentencing.

--
Phil Hilton