Converting from MH to mbox?

2004-02-09 04:43:27
I have a lot of mail (a LOT of mail) that is stored in what I believe is
MH folder format.  Each message is stored in a single file, consecutively
numbered from 1 to n.  Each message file include the entire message,
EXCEPT for the FROM_ line, which is completely absent.

First question, is this a MH formatted directory?

I've been playing around with:

cat /path/tp/MH/* > temp.box
formail -a Date: -ds < temp.box > newbox

but that yields an improperly formatted FROM_.  Though I've also tried
piping that through a procmail recipe to fix the FROM_ header.

I've had limited results, partly because the MH messages tend to not have
blank lines following the message, so messages tend to get concatenated
together into one "supermessage" and partly because sometimes my FROM_ fix
recipe seems to fail.

I occurred to me I may be going to way too much trouble and that there is
a know solution.  Rather than reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd check
here.  I have found some info on a shell script called packmail.sh that
supposedly comes with an mh install, but no such script exists on my OS X
machine (these are OS X mail.app folders) so I suspect any mh handling is
done internally to the Application.

--
Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see