RE: Converting from MH to mbox?

2004-02-09 08:39:55

From: LuKreme
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 3:22 AM
To: procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: Converting from MH to mbox?

I have a lot of mail (a LOT of mail) that is stored in what I believe is
MH folder format.  Each message is stored in a single file, consecutively
numbered from 1 to n.  Each message file include the entire message,
EXCEPT for the FROM_ line, which is completely absent.

First question, is this a MH formatted directory?

I've been playing around with:

cat /path/tp/MH/* > temp.box
formail -a Date: -ds < temp.box > newbox

but that yields an improperly formatted FROM_.  Though I've also tried
piping that through a procmail recipe to fix the FROM_ header.

As a first cut, I might try:

find $MAILDIR -type f -maxdepth 1 | xargs -n1 -i+ sh -c 'formail -a "From "
< +' > all.mbox

You may need to interpose a grep to only apply the script to
filenames with a certain syntax, if there are other files in the mail
directory than just mail files.