Re: Duplicates sent from lists

2004-02-17 06:18:25
On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 04:19:22AM -0700, LuKreme wrote:
I'm struggling with a good solution to the whole "getting CC's of list
posts" issue.

It's really not that hard.  But since I am a culprit who sent you a copy
of mail I sent to the list, I will step in to help. :-)

[ObBackground: I do that sometimes inadvertently, because I hit "g" in
mutt to reply to the list, and the sender's address is also there, and I
have to remember to delete it manually, and sometimes I forget.

[Otoh, I sometimes send a copy "advertently."  Those who write little
"love notes" at the bottom of their posts to the effect of, "I am
subscribed to this list; so why would I want a *copy* when I will
read your message on the list (you annoying twit)?" do quite miss the
point, imho.  For example, I subscribe to this list, but I much prefer
supplemental private copies of messages that are replies to my posts.
Why?  Because while I do not save procmail list messages generally, I do
save, for perpetuity and eternally, every non-spam, non-commercial email
I have ever received.  If you are writing back about something I said,
then I find that to be of sufficient "personal" characterization that I
wish to archive the message with my private mail.

[And while solving LuKreme's quandary is downright easy (so it
shouldn't even be an issue), solving the opposite issue (mine)
when no private copy comes is not as simple.  So I spend lots of
time manually making copies.]

Okay, now to LuKreme's request:

since I am now using Sean's generic list capture recipe (slightly
modified to include List-ID:)

[recipe deleted, except for action line]
{ LISTNAME=$MATCH }

Of course, the CC's are generally the first messages to arrive, so
what happens now is the CC arrives in my "List Replies" mailbox and
the message to the list never arrives because it gets trapped in the
msgid.cache.

What I want is something that says "Trash this message but let the

You already have in that action line above everything you need.
"If LISTNAME exists, this is a list message.  If LISTNAME
doesn't exist but a list is present in the To: or Cc: line,
it's a courtesy copy."

   COMMON_LISTS_OF_MINE = (foo|bar|procmail)
   :0
   * LISTNAME ?? ^^^^
   * $ ^(^To|Cc):(.*\<)?$COMMON_LISTS_OF_MINE
   { HOST = fscking_courtesy_copy_grumble_grumble }

--
dman