Re: Duplicates sent from lists

2004-02-17 11:57:23
At 17:35 2004-02-17 +0100, Dallman Ross wrote:
like (paraphrased here), "*I* get *my* copy on the *list*, to which I
am SUBSCRIBED."  The wish not to get an extra copy is legitimate.  The
holier-than-thou tone implying that anyone who might both be on the
list and want a copy must be an idiot was what bugged me.

I don't read that as that those wanting a copy are idiots. It's just amazing how on many lists (particularly non-computer tech) people just hammer off replies to everybody when in the vast majority of cases, it's unwarranted. It's particularly annoying when some people seem to believe it's their RIGHT to bombard you with extra copies (esp after some of the reasons you don't want them have been pointed out).

I admin multiple lists, including one on an auto enthusiast site (where we have over 25,000 unique discussion list members site-wide). Of course, being automotive in nature, the computer tech level varies significantly (say, compared to a reasonable expectation that the procmail list or some computer development list should have some reasonably competent computer users on average). In fact, it seems that some people can't even manage to read the nature of a reply properly: if person A posts a question, and person B follows up (completely standard followup, including context and attribution), there's a passing chance that person C will follow up to Person B OFFLIST, thinking they were looking for an answer to something. Then there's the off topic queries (like details on cars that are a different model and 15 years newer than the one you own) because someone figures you probably are bright enough to find an answer for them.

It is extremely easy to waste away a day doing nothing but email.

Btw, I wrote you privately circa six weeks ago, but never got a reply.

Yes, I received it. Yes, I composed a reply - but didn't complete it to my satisfaction, and it's still sitting in my outbox, and very quickly, scrolls up out of view given the amount of correspondance I churn through in any given day). I just tweaked it and it'll be going out shortly.