Re: MS-TNEF bounces.

2004-02-17 11:54:17
At 11:22 2004-02-17 -0600, Chris Wagner wrote:
That said, the best solution I could think of was to scan for TNEF-type
encoding and then send a custom bounce with instructions on how to disable
TNEF in Outlook.

Has anyone employed anything like this, and if so, would you be willing to
share it?

Refer to the archives for my bouncer.rc file - I posted about it just recently.

This is an abbreviated attachment filter from my Seneschal filters for majordomo. I don't scan for TNEF specifically, but the third recipe inside the outer brace is something I whipped up just now which should match.

Of course, you need to write the support text. I'm fond of having the text message give a basic why this isn't adviseable message, and then refer the user to a specific URL, since you can easily provide graphical support to the user that way (people using OutBreak and AOL generally need more visual cues).

:0
* ^Content-Type:.*multipart
{
        # multipart -- an attachment of some nature.  Fools!
        # search for specific filenames, then default

        # MS OutBreak/NS Mail - business card attachment
        :0BH
        * ^Content-Type:.*text/x-vcard
        {
                BOUNCEMSG="attach_vcard.msg"
        }

        # MS OutBreak - richtext copy of message
        :0EHB
        * ^Content-[-a-z0-9_]+:.*=[ ]*"?\
                winmail\.dat
        {
                BOUNCEMSG="attach_winmail.msg"
        }

        # MS OutBreak - TNEF bounce
        :0EHB
        * ^Content-Type:.*application/ms-tnef
        {
                BOUNCEMSG="attach_tnef.msg"
        }

        BOUNCESUBJ="Your submission was declined"

        # Include bounce handler code
        INCLUDERC=bouncer.rc