Re: Re[2]: Virus scanning and defense-in-depth

2004-02-29 14:35:10
On 29 Feb 2004, at 13:13, Robert Allerstorfer wrote:
Since it works like a charme for me, I decided to share it with the
public, released under the GNU GPL license, as free and Open Source
software. I call it "Softlabs AntiVirus" and it is available at

in <http://www.softlabs.info/antivirus/SoftlabsAV-0.1/ReadMe.txt> you say:

        sed --version

  This should give something like 'GNU sed version 4.0.8'.

This command only works, of course, if your sed is gsed (GNU sed). I do not know of a way to get a version from sed.

Looking over your readme it appears that executables (.exes) that are zipped are quarantined. If this is correct it's going to make the recipe painful for a lot of people. For example, the majority of .zips I get are .exe files. Other things tend to come in as .rar .tgz or .tar (or, more rarely, .tbz).

I have no problem with zipped exe files. if someone is stupid enough to open an unknown zip file and then run the unknown file inside it... well, they deserve what they get. there are no tools to deal with that level of wilful stupidity.

One other note, your package includes a /etc/procmailrc. In my opinion this is bad form. You should have a /etc/softlabs.rc and have instructions to INCLUDERC this file in the /etc/procmailrc. Just my opinion.

--
I want a party where all the women wear new dresses and all the men drink beer. -- Jason Gaes