Re: tips on writing /etc/procmailrc so that it can be run as 'root' or as a user?

2004-02-25 02:05:11
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 04:40:47PM -0500, Charles Gregory wrote:

No, what I'm looking for is something like CLAMAV, but which can be
called from procmail to work on a message in mbox format. CLAMAV has
that capability, but it is still not 'recommended' - they say the code
is unstable. I want a virus scanner with a decent 'update' mechanism
for new signatures. Unfortunately we're a community ISP, big user
base, no dollars. So most paid options are out of the question. Thanks
anyways.

"They" who say that?  I don't know, but either one can get clam(d)scan
to work or not on a particular system, would be the point.  We had
lots of trouble getting it to compile right on NetBSD where I am.  But
privately a friend I put up to it on that system got it to work, just
last night.  My point is only that if the compile works, then it works,
right?  There is certainly a flurry of ongoing development with it,
sure, but it will probably only get better, quickly.  I also think it's
a good product.

Me, I can't understand what all the hullaballo is about, since I don't
know of a virus that wouldn't be an encoded attachment of some kind
(possibly uuencode, if not MIME); and if you're looking at attachments
already, then you're 5/6 there.  But certainly I'm biased. :) Btw,
since you say you looked at Virus Snaggers a while ago, you may not
have noticed that the recent releases do have signatures for MyDoom and
NetSky, for looking in ZIPs.

--
dman