Re[2]: Virus scanning and defense-in-depth

2004-02-25 09:13:23
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, 16:31 GMT+01 (16:31 local time) Dallman Ross
wrote:

Yes, thanks, Bob.  This is essentially what I was going to answer
Robert Allerstorfer with in his question about my Virus Snaggers.  I
plan to continue to maintain the plug-in.  And to continue improving
it.  But I don't know that I plan to hunt, ever-vigilantly, for newer,
wider-ranging, several-hundred-byte 7-bit viral-signature regexes that
are ever-mutating.  That was never really the goal or the point of Virus
Snaggers.  It is the goal and the point of clams(d)?scan, however; which
is why I'd do just what you said: run what one easily *can* run inside
procmail, and then, on an as-needed basis, fork out to a sturdier
tool for a specific job.

OK, I see what purpose you have in mind. There is yet another procmail
recipe which seems to do a great job as well, catching all those nasty
known viruses currently spreading around, including NetSky.B, here:

http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nikant/nkvir-rc

best,

rob.