Re: tips on writing /etc/procmailrc so that it can be run as 'root' or as a user?

2004-02-24 14:48:36
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Dallman Ross wrote:
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 02:10:42PM -0500, Charles Gregory wrote:
I eagerly looked into this, but just at the point I cared about,
you included 'virus_scan.rc', which is the part I *really*
wanted. A procmail includable/executable virus scanner. Preferably
freeware......
Well, a quite number of times since that post three weeks ago, your
point you cared about has been mentioned specifically on this list.
Just to see what would happen, I just went to the searchable list
archives (linked halfway down the page at www.procmail.org) and
plugged your words in: "virus scanner".  One of the posts that
came up in the first few was this one, also from Gary:
And in that, he printed the exact link to one such "includable"
plug-in.

Sorry, it didn't say "virussnag" in the last post, it said 'virus_scan.rc'
and so I had hopes that it was NOT the simple procmail 'virussnag' recipes
I already knew about, but instead was a real virus scanner linked into
procmail. I *do* follow the postings on here, and had already reviewed
'virussnag' and determined that it did little more than my own home-grown
double-extension checks.

No, what I'm looking for is something like CLAMAV, but which can be called
from procmail to work on a message in mbox format. CLAMAV has that
capability, but it is still not 'recommended' - they say the code is
unstable. I want a virus scanner with a decent 'update' mechanism for new
signatures. Unfortunately we're a community ISP, big user base, no
dollars. So most paid options are out of the question. Thanks anyways.

- Charles