Re: softlabs

2004-03-04 13:30:50
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004, 14:17 GMT-05 (20:17 local time) Bob George wrote:

Robert, I applaud your efforts at developing a useful  tool for aiding
with slowing/stopping the spread of infections. I think though that you
may be taken to task -- and not unfairly -- for referring to it as
"anti-virus", simply because, as I understand it, it does NOT detect
viruses with any degree of certainty. It quarantines attachments meeting
specific criteria. THIS IS NOT BAD, but I thing there's a very good
chance that anybody reading that header might be given a false sense of
security [...]

yes, I agree. Giving it a name including the term "AntiVirus" simply
resulted in the fact, that the purpose of developing it was and is to
get rid of viruses. I do *not* call it a virus *scanner*, but a virus
*filter* instead. It is intended to work as a "first layer" and can be
plugged onto a "real" virus scanner, to be a "true" AntiVirus
solution. Calling my tool something like "first-layer attachment
checker-isolater-and-optionally-passing-to-VirusScanner" probably
would be more confusing ;-)

If people got confused by the name, they should not be after they have
read the ReadMe.

The "quarantine, scan then accept" multi-level check is good if applied
to all attachments. Again though, I'm a lot more comfortable saying
"checked for virus" after these steps.

yes, you are right, applying a virus-scan to all attachments is
probably the safest, but that wasn't my goal. I think there are enough
commercial products on the market for people who want or need this.

best,
rob.