System mail directory

2004-04-09 22:09:23
I'm using fetchmail->procmail to put mail into an mbox at /var/spool/mail/myusername. This all works - mail gets delivered to /var/... due to a rule I have (in addition the man page says it will end up there by default since that's what $ORGMAIL is) and pine picks it up from there. However, if I do procmail -v I'm told my system mailbox is $HOME/.maildir. What exactly is the purpose of this system mailbox and why doesn't procmail just deliver to /var/... instead of using the .maildir? Can this be changed?

Thanks.