Re: System mail directory

2004-04-10 04:26:22
Am 2004-04-10 00:48:46, schrieb Brett I. Holcomb:
I'm using fetchmail->procmail to put mail into an mbox at
/var/spool/mail/myusername.  This all works - mail gets delivered to
/var/... due to a rule I have (in addition the man page says it will end
up there by default since that's what $ORGMAIL is) and pine picks it up
from there.  However, if I do procmail -v I'm told my system mailbox is
$HOME/.maildir.  What exactly is the purpose of this system mailbox and
why doesn't procmail just deliver to /var/... instead of using the
.maildir?  Can this be changed?

Thanks.

Hello,

There is nothing to do as installing a
.procmailrc in the $USER $HOME.

It is enough if you put:

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/INBOX/
LOGFILE=$HOME/log/procmail-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.log
VERBOSE=off

Please do not forget the '/' after the Mailboxname. 'procmail' know
this for "maildir". If you forget it, it crate "mailboxes".

in it. If 'procmail' is invocated by 'fetchmail', procmail will first
look for the $USER .procmailrc and the at the /etc/procmailrc.

Greetings
Michelle

--
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/