procmail occupies almost memory

2004-04-17 17:06:24
Dear all,

I recently notice that procmail occupies too much memory, while sendmail
occupies a lot of CPU, on my Linux
Redhat 9 PC. For example,

Size RSS  %CPU  %MEM
643M 200M  0.3   80.6

The process is under root, so I have to log in using a root account and
kill procmail, while the process sendmail occupies like 20% of CPU in
the meantime. So I kill sendmail as well. However, after some time,
maybe 1 hour or less, the two processes automatically start and I have
to kill them both, otherwise my system will crash since the memory
occupied by procmail will be increasing, say, from 6% to 80% very
quickly, to .....To avoid my system crash, I am using top to monitor.
I have no clue what happened and how to solve this problem.

Thanks,

--
Zhu Wang

Statistical Science Department
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275-0332
Phone: (214)768-2453
Fax: (214)768-4035
Email: zhuw(_at_)mail(_dot_)smu(_dot_)edu