Re: A Duplicates "Mystery" - NOW FORMAIL PATH

2004-05-22 10:26:09
At 18:24 2004-05-22 +0200, Dallman Ross wrote:
On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 10:46:53AM -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> Only question would be "which is more efficient?.....$FORMAIL or just
> formail with path-add."

That would make essentially no difference.

Well the variable form would be trivially faster since no path traversal would be necessary.

The flip side is that if you're not ensuring EVERY invocation of formail is using this variable, then those others need to have the path defined correctly, *AND* if there's multiple copies of formail in the system, may not be running the same one you are when you use the variable.

For things like $SENDMAIL, the benefits of using a variable are many. With mundane utilities, not nearly so. Set your path correctly and stick to using a regular invocation.

I used to use a variable for formail, but realized the error of my ways and ceased that practice.