Re: A Duplicates "Mystery" - The VERBOSE LOG

2004-05-21 08:25:05
At 09:29 PM 5.20.2004 +0200, Dallman Ross wrote:
On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:34:45AM -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:
My global procmailrc is here:
http://www.antennex.com/tmp/procmailrc.txt

Jack, some comments about your posted rc, in order that they
occurred to me:

Dallman: Really appreciate your extensive review of my recipes and your
suggestions for corrections and "tuning" as with the multiple calls of
formail, etc. Now to some specifics:

[...]Your path should be compiled in.  I don't think there are many
good reasons for setting one explicitly post-binary.[...]

With respect to this "path" being compiled in, some are there because I
wanted to be sure they were found quickly and also that I was a pure
procmail newbie at the time of original setup and followed the examples
found. The redundancies have now been removed. Formail remains problematic
and only solved using the path I have set.

PATH=$HOME/bin:\
/etc:\
/bin:\
/sbin:\
/usr/bin:\
/usr/sbin:\
/usr/local/bin/formail:${PATH} <=== this path add solved it. Cannot be
found without it.

...and works for variables:
FORMAIL="/usr/local/bin/formail"

To my surprise, with "formail" apparently the path is not compiled in
because using my path-set was the only way for it to be found (even though
"which" finds the path fine -- this really through me off).

I install from "ports" and I see nothing about this in the Procmail
Makefile, (I run FBSD-4.8p+) although something should be there to do this
one would think. So, once my set of the path worked propery to execute
formail, I was happy and fried other fish.

You are correct on all the other programs called -- they are found and the
paths are not necessary in my file.

DATE=`date +.%m%d%y`

I specify the date for a specific need to append the day's ham/spam files
which are then analyzed by other scripts using that date format.

| $SENDMAIL $SENDMAILFLAGS -t
[...]Hmm, could this possibly be the Claudio problem?[...]

No, has nothing to do with Claudio or the problem, but you are correct
about my redundancy on use of $SENDMAIL in those couple of recipes.

PREFIX = /usr/samba/mail
You are right again about this. I had thought of that, just hadn't done it
yet. Done now though thanks to your nudge.

[...]You're doing a lot of var expansion.  Check your
logs for any buffer-overrun messages.  I do a
lot too, and I had to bump my $LINEBUF to 24K.[...]

I had some when I was using another special include, but since dropped. I
did have it at 16k, but must have lost it, however no overflows noticed.

Now, I have set it to 32768 -- but, notice your vsnag include drops it back
down to 16k. I changed your MINLINBUF to same 32768 and your self-test
shows it stays there now.

## Forward CDUNGER to CAT
[...]Is Claudio writing him, too?[...]

....No, not related to Claudio at all.

[...]Where are you setting your own X-Loop?[...]
My goof.... shouldn't have been there.

[...]You know that the trailing whitespace will have to be present,
right?[...]
Fixed....

[...]Btw, there is a namespace collision between vnsag's and Ruud's global
$WS.[...]
I modified the globals for this.... thanks!

MESSAGEID = `$FORMAIL -xMessage-ID:`
FROM = `$FORMAIL -xFrom:`

[...]Both of these are already known from the vsnag run, so you can
save yourself two calls to formail and just use $H_FROM and $H_MSGID.
Of if you're not sure you will use vsnag enduringly, then[...]

MESSAGEID = "${H_MSGID:-`$FORMAIL -x Message-ID:`}"

You are right -- fixing those now....

* ? $FORMAIL -D $MID_CACHE_LEN $MID_CACHE_FILE
[...]If you're going to run a dupes check, why not way up-top?[...]
It is now.....

[...]Okay, for your MATCH reinstantiation in the second condition, you
could just use (I think - not tested!)[...]

 * MATCH ?? ^^\/.*[^/]

Are you referring to replacement of this?:
===> * MATCH  ?? ^^\/[^/]*(/[^/]+)*

:0 HB:
* $ ^Content-Type:.*charset=(\")?\/(${CHARSETS})(\")?\>
$GIBBERISH

[...]You will maybe get yourself in trouble running the H flag up-top.
There is a known procmail bug such that once you do this, you can never[...]
....now the "H" is gone... thanks!

Again thanks for the audit, but "Claudio" remains a problem. Guess I'll
keep deleting extras until I stumble onto the answer. Really weird -- the
only one that does this.
turn it off again subsequently.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,