Re: Rule to filter for letter-number combinations?

2004-05-28 08:43:47
Dallman Ross wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 13:54:29 +0200:

1) It doesn't work better than my procmail rules.

But maybe it would work better for Jim Witte? I don't deny that your rules
work quite well for you. They have grown over years for the type of spam
that you get. About two years ago I had about the same FP/FN rates you
mention by just rejecting all HTML messages and using about 100 - 150
"buzz" words. And if I reactivated it and added some regexp to it it would
still work for most spam, maybe a bit less efficient. But it doesn't work
on a great scale. I'm sorry for starting this debate, I didn't intend and
am not interested in such. I just wanted to point Jim Witte to a solution
which might fit him better in the long run.

2) I didn't re-invent the wheel.  My rules came first.

Again, I didn't talk about you. Or did I? Adding a few obfuscation rules
*is* reinventing the wheel.

3) Procmail as I have it configured is about 100 (or is it 500?)
   times lighter on the machine.  Most of my tests are headers-only.

In that case I'd just need to change some names and get lots of spam thru.
You cannot fight spam almost only with header rules unless you use a lot of
name-specific blocking and risk a high FP rate (which you have).

   They are effective as follows (stats over more than a year):

   False-positive: all dates: 1.1%
   False-negative: all dates: 0.1%

I consider this a very bad FP rate. It would not be acceptable for our
clients. If it would be the other way around this would be acceptable.

Oh, and all the users running spamc on our system causes the mail server
to overload with regularity.

Of course. Running spamc from procmail is inefficient in particular and
letting each user combat spam by himself is inefficient in general.

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany