Re: Rule to filter for letter-number combinations?

2004-05-28 08:43:46
 wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 17:12:13 -0700:

I don't want to judge you, but I don't think that you have tested all
the procmail code out there

Why should I do?

If I can come up with a filter for something that Spamassassin doesn't
always catch, with me being not that experienced in Procmail, that
should tell you something.

Yes, it tells me that you don't know how it works and didn't read the
documentation.

Note, I'm not interested in flame wars pro and con something. If you don't
like SA, fine. You may want to try to understand my answers in the context
in the root posting which asked for obfuscation rules. It doesn't help at
all to add an additional rule to procmail. Scott Wiersdorf already explained
the caveats of this approach. It's a never-ending race. On the other hand,
with SA you have a ready-made system with hundreds of rules for catching
obfuscation alone and which doesn't need much care after the first tuning.
It's a decision between a scalable system which catches almost all spam
without any/much intervention by you and a system where you almost
single-handedly fight individual messages until you built so many rules that
they eventually catch almost all *your* spam (at least I hope so for you)
and you still have to take care of it because your rules cannot adapt to new
spam structures by themselves. Take attention of the "your", copying those
filters to someone else may create very disappointing results. If you want
to go the latter route, fine. It's only the latter route which may
eventually create invention and development, but it also takes time and
effort. If you just want to get rid of spam from one day to the other and
maybe for thousands of clients the former method is far more effective.

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany