Re[2]: Recipe on "subject contains"

2004-05-28 08:43:46
On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:46:44 -0500 "David W. Tamkin"
<dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> wrote:

Gerald suggested to Hans,

*^Subject:.KT-USERS

No, because there will be two characters, not just one, between the
colon and the K (a space and the left bracket).  But if Gerald's
expectation that no other mail will have the string in its subject is
reliable,

will do the job.  I wouldn't count on it, though; what if another list
member writes to Hans privately and sends a message like this:

Subject: Re: [KT-USERS] rest of post's original subject

Hans might not want that in the same folder as distributions from the
list.

I saw the forgotten "*" after hitting send (twice even because I hadn't
fixed this list to send to list rather than original poster -- first send
went to Scott <sigh>.

I wasn't going to go into the folly of filtering for lists based on a
subject tag. Maybe he knows it isn't the best way and this particular list
doesn't include any other headers to better identify it.

As soon as I get my phorce1.net mail server built (hosting company pi**ed
me off so I'm building my own server and colocating it at work) I'll shift
to using a different address for every list. I could do that now since I am
the mail admin at work but I'd rather set up the addresses on my own
domain(s). It will make life easier for tracking spam and virus sources.
I'm on a couple of low subscriber base lists and if I start getting viruses
to those addreses I'll be able to inform the list at large to check their
systems.

Want to convert the sysmatrix mail server from a poor Winblows server setup
to something linux/MySQL based also. Anyone out there with experience
setting up XMail give me a yell offlist. Have to set up something that
provides an easy web interface for employees to add/delete/change users and
the "all virtual - no login accounts" setup of XMail seems to be just the
ticket for ISP use.

Sorry for the subject shift -- that's what's on my mind most right now.

Gerald