Re: Recipe on "subject contains"

2004-05-28 11:26:04
At 11:09 2004-05-28 -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:

That's not a practice I'd recommend to anyone. It makes it very easy to mistake a private reply for a post and to write to the whole list when you reply to it, including quotes of the privately mailed text.

I use a windoz system for a workstation (yea, shoot me - at least I have the sense not to use 'em for servers), and here I run a mail client which I can flag messages with colour, etc. So, personally directed messages on some lists (or offlist, but for which the address I use has a list association) are highlighted. In other cases, such as here on procmail where I use a decidedly more generic address, offlist messages are dumped into a "listmail" folder, separate from the list itself. Since I've long encouraged onlist replies when the content is listworthy, I don't have a lot of this offlist message content, and when I do, it's usually not highly tied to the list.

It's easy to find the messages either way.

So long as volume of mail residing in the unfiltered inbox is minimal, pretty much everything is easy to find.