nasty LINEBUF defect in procmail

2004-07-21 21:54:33
I ran into a procmail defect that was difficult to find.  Here is the
version I'm running (which seems old, but is the latest according to
procmail.org):

  $ procmail -version
  procmail v3.22 2001/09/10
      Copyright (c) 1990-2001, Stephen R. van den Berg
<srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl>
      Copyright (c) 1997-2001, Philip A. Guenther
<guenther(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com>

I exceeded the capacity of LINEBUF by ~34 characters, and did not
receive the "Exceeded LINEBUF" error message in the log file (which
has verbosity ON).  According to the Procmail Companion by Martin
Mccarthy, an error message should be printed to the log file.

Even worse than the lack of error reporting:

The side effect was for procmail to begin overwriting the message with
the contents that spilled over the buffer.  The buffer overrun
completely replaces the initial "From .*" line with the 34 excess
characters, causing the message to be invalid, producing an invalid
inbox that is unreadable to my MUA (mutt).

Does anyone know of this issue has been reported officially, or if
it's being worked?