Re: (bug report) The LINEBUF defect is real..

2004-07-28 01:15:17
On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 11:53:15PM -0600, Justin Gombos wrote:

My diagnosis: the $ALL_FRIENDS variable is actually 1,964 characters
(which does not exceed the default LINEBUF).  However, when this long
variable is appended onto a conditional line that makes it exceed the
LINEBUF, there are many failures.  [. . .]

For such long lists of friends, etc., you should use some method
other than var assignment in your algorithm.  Either grep against a file
or files, or (what I do) use filenames themselves for hashes kept
in a special area.  (I described that once within the last year;
search the archives -- suggested words "hash" and "filename" -- if
you have interest.)

--
dman