hash files

2004-07-28 19:22:38
* Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> [2004-07-28 15:38]:

For such long lists of friends, etc., you should use some method
other than var assignment in your algorithm.  Either grep against a
file or files, or (what I do) use filenames themselves for hashes
kept in a special area.  (I described that once within the last
year; search the archives -- suggested words "hash" and "filename"
-- if you have interest.)

My $FROM_ conditional is defined this way:

  FROM_="(From${SPC}|(Old-|X-)?(Resent-)?\
  (From|Reply-To|Sender):)(.*\<)?"

so greping could be a problem, because it assumes a one-to-many match,
when I really have to do a many-to-many match.  Even if I only checked
the From: field, isn't it possible for this field to have multiple
addresses?

I also checked the archives for your hashing method.  Maybe I didn't
find the correct post, but it seems you are also stuffing a large list
of addresses into a procmail variable as well.  ie:

"$HASH" is where I have filename hashes.  If $KEYCHECK matches,
 the includerc is run.  One might look like this inside:

  COPY_ME = c  # set to `c' if I'm on list

  LIST_DELIVERY="
  john(_at_)q(_dot_)public(_dot_)com
  paula(_at_)example(_dot_)com
"

I'm a little confused though, because you are not using "\" at the end
of each line to continue your variable definition.

We may actually be doing effectively the same thing.  All my scripts
span a library of files that get included, and one of the files purely
sets variables for different groups of people.  You wouldn't know it
from my sample posts, because I merge them into a single stream to
make it easier to test them.