Re: nasty LINEBUF defect in procmail

2004-07-22 15:27:33
* Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> [2004-07-22 14:54]:

I've never heard of such a thing.  I would need to see some
corroboration of findings (with sample recipes, logs, and so on)
before I would be able to overcome my initial skepticisim that you
found what you think you did.

I was thinking about composing a concise recipe that repeats the
problem without dumping thousands of lines of code from my procmail
collection on someone.. but I wanted to see first if any developers
were interested.  I'll do it this weekend.

For example, are you running any filtering recipes (f-flag)?  You
might be running against a completey different bug that is known,
with relation to filter recipes on some builds corrupting From_.

The lack of reporting is easily verifiable.  I have a few variables
like $AOL_FRIENDS, $JPL_FRIENDS, $NETCOM_FRIENDS, etc, and I create a
single large variable such as $ALL_FRIENDS, which is then used in
different recipes throughout.  I will either X out all those email
address expressions and post it for all, or I would be willing to just
send you the variable privately.  You'll see that 2048 chars is
exceeded, but there is no error report.

I am using the f-flag in a few places for filters.  I'm not sure if
that is where the message overwrites kick in, but I think it's a valid
suspicion.  I'll have to experiment.

This problem may be also be part of the lock file issue.  After
increasing my LINEBUF, I did not notice the lock file issue (but the
test was very quick).