Re: Filtering with Procmail before it goes to spamassassin.

2004-07-24 01:29:48
On 24 Jul 2004 David A. Roth (rothmail(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net) wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. After reading the posts, I see now that re-creating this function in procmail isn't the way to go. I'm going to talk with my sys admin about setting up several mailboxes for me@ and webmaster(_at_)(_dot_) Hopefully the bounced message that it generates will alert the valid sender they didn't type in the correct user name. Doing this at the MTA would also solve the concern about legit e-mail that is BCC'ed to me@ from being mistake as being sent to an incorrect user, is that correct?

Yes, the Bcc problem is one of the reasons Sean just posted about "Procmail is not an MTA" and why I have this section in my Procmail Quick Start:

 Important Warning: Procmail Cannot Reliably Route Users'
 Messages in a Virtual Domain

which is here:

 <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#virtualDomain>

BTW, you don't necessarily need separate mailboxes for me@ and webmaster(_at_)(_dot_) You could have one be an alias for the other -- it all depends on how you want to deal with your mail.