Re: limiting number of procmail processes running

2004-08-13 17:30:15
On Aug 12, 2004, at 11:41 AM, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

I am interested in limiting the number of procmail processes running at any one time.

You are trying to treat the symptom.
Fix the underlying problem, and the symptom will go away.
Otherwise, if you fix the number of allowable processes at X...
you will find that you ALWAYS have X processes running.

Limits are like that.

When I'm using my spam filter (camram) under heavy loads, it does not behave well because of resource contention as well as the cost of starting up many python processes.

Ah.

You may want to either find a way to live without invoking python, or find a way to share it a la SpamAssassin.

Or, start blocking with SpamHaus and the CBL at the MTA level, if your server is getting swamped.

Aloha mai Nai`a!
--
"Please have your Internet License             http://kapu.net/~mjwise/
  and Usenet Registration handy..."