Re: limiting number of procmail processes running

2004-08-15 14:46:59
Michael J Wise wrote:

On Aug 12, 2004, at 11:41 AM, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

I am interested in limiting the number of procmail processes running at any one time.

You are trying to treat the symptom.
Fix the underlying problem, and the symptom will go away.
Otherwise, if you fix the number of allowable processes at X...
you will find that you ALWAYS have X processes running.

Limits are like that.

quite right. What I should have been doing was limiting the number of processes sendmail can start for local delivery agents. I'll check to see if that control is available.

You may want to either find a way to live without invoking python, or find a way to share it a la SpamAssassin.

I am working with the right people to build a spamc/d compatible front-end. The original isn't quite right but with minor changes should be OK.

Or, start blocking with SpamHaus and the CBL at the MTA level, if your server is getting swamped.

unfortunately, blacklists are fundamentally destructive and I will not use them. My server has been blacklisted just because of the IP address range it was in. Somehow the blacklist folks didn't bother to read my AUP and how much extra I pay for the privilege of running my own mail server. it is possible to use blacklists constructively if you have a primary filtering techniques such as hashcash sender pays systems.

I do appreciate your feedback.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct most