Re: 'Folder: bounced '

2005-01-05 15:28:43
On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:12:29PM +1100, Adam Bogacki wrote:
Lets be optimists, Dallman.

As noted below I've gone with Ruud's example so you are
really criticising his work.

No.  I recognized Ruud's style.  I also recognized where
it was changed/mangled/corrupted/appended to.  :-)

The system log is working (named 'etc-procmail.log' in
/home/adam/Mail) but there is no sign of the user log
(named 'adam-procmail.log').

Which means (as I said last week): file/path permissions
to not allow adam to write to that target.

procmail: Couldn't create or rename temp file "backup/y-spam"
  Folder: cd backup && rm -f dummy 'ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,200d'
  /bin/sh: bin/sh: No such file or directory

.. which is a bit strange as I've commented that section
out in /etc/procmailrc, see below ..

But it's not at all strange, based on what I wrote you
the other day from your having posted your most recent rcfiles.
I'll bet the log entry is from before your commenting-out
of those lines.

This stuff isn't magic.  It all happens for a reason.  Your
computer doesn't just decide to execute code that it wouldn't
see.  A comment is a comment -- the computer can't know what
is behind those #'s!  So either this is an old log entry,
or you have the code snippet repeated elsewhere that is also
being run.

Btw,

  /bin/sh: bin/sh: No such file or directory

is another error entirely.  And I see why:  You've set
your $SHELL to a bogus entry.  You have (taken from
down below in the message I'm answering, but most of
that stuff I will delete now):

  SHELL       = 'bin/sh'

You need a leading slash!  "/bin/sh".  This is important.
If you don't fix it, procmail has no shell and cannot
perform shell ops.

I've also renamed my forward file to eliminate it from the
possibilities and mail keeps flooding my inbox.

If procmail works without a .forward, then procmail is the
MTA.  But the script from Sean Straw you've been running
reported that procmail was not the MTA.

/etc/procmailrc has created 'bounced' and 'etc-procmail.log'
in /home/adam/Mail, but there is no sign of 'Trash' nor
of the entities (files ? boxes ?) specified in
/home/adam/.procmailrc

What are the permissions on the target files and the directories
in the path to them?  Who owns them?

# file permissions and ownership:
0644  1 adam     adam        2944 Sun Jan  2 20:45:20 2005
Say, waitaminit: is this a *directory*?!  'Cause directories
need to have execute privs enabled.  If this is your home dir,

   chmod 755 /home/adam

/home/adam/.procmailrc
0704  1 root     root         125 Wed Dec 15 21:51:11 2004

And here we see that adam's .procmailrc is owned by root!
That's not good.  It should be owned by adam.

CAUTION: /var/mail/adam perms exceed 7755: curb back to 0640

May be why procmail isn't writing to it.  It could be refusing on
account of those too-loose file privileges.

--
dman