RE: 'Folder: bounced '

2005-01-10 07:39:58
From: Adam Bogacki [mailto:afb(_at_)paradise(_dot_)net(_dot_)nz]

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 07:49:49PM +0100 or thereabouts,
Dallman Ross wrote:

Logged in as adam, go to /home/adam/Mail and type

  touch testfile

and look.  Did it get created?  This will test your ability
as user "adam" to write to that dir.  (You can delete the file
now once you make it and look.)

If that doesn't work, permissions are the issue.  If it does
work, it's something else.

adam(_at_)Tux:~/Mail02:46:32$ touch testfile
created 'te4stfile' in /home/adam/Mail

Well, how could a command, "touch testfile", create output "craeted
'te4stfile'"?  Obviously you are just typing in the output by hand
here rather than copying and pasting.  Not good practice when trying
to troubleshoot recalcitrant problems!

But okay, it seems adam has permission to create files in the directory.
Good.

My next experiment to suggest is to get rid of the

    DEFAULT     = "$MAILDIR/.Inbox/"

and change it to

    DEFAULT     = "$HOME/Mail/.Inbox/"

I know that Ruud is looking askance at me virtually about
now.  Ruud, believe it or not, I had some anomalous results
to some command-line testing using MAILDIR like that.  At
this point I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong -- I
was very tired at the time -- but this little experiment is
harmless for Adam to try.

exim: malformed debug_selector setting: + or - expected
but found "0"

So are you ever going to fix this?

There is no file 'sendmail' in /usr/bin

It doesn't say above that it's in /usr/bin.  It says it's
in /usr/sbin.

True, but 'vim /usr/sbin/sendmail' gives me

^?ELF^A^A^A^(_at_)^@^(_at_)^@^(_at_)^@^(_at_)^@^(_at_)^B^@^C^(_at_)^A^@^(_at_)^@\uffffR^E^H4^(_at_)^@^
@\uffff\uffff
^(_at_)^@^(_at_)^@^(_at_)4^@ ^(_at_)^G^@(^(_at_)^X^

over the whole screen. What do you suggest.

I never meant to suggest editing the file by hand!  It is a compiled
executable file.  You would not be able to edit it using vim with
any hope of success!

Rather, I suggest informing yourself -- probably on a sendmail user
list, or in the sendmail docs or man pages, unless somebody here
just happens to know off-hand -- what the error means and how to
fix it.  I certainly don't know.

It doesn't matter if it's empty or not empty.  It matters what
the file permissions are.  I suggest you do what it says:

  chmod 0640 /var/mail/adam

 .. done that.

Did the error message go away now?

Dallman