mimic a unknown user bounce

2005-01-24 11:23:28
     Hi,

     Happy New Year.

     This has probably been asked before but can't find a reference.
Might be looking for the wrong thing too.

     Is it possible, and if so then how, to get procmail to mimic an
unknown user bounce by the mail server?  One apparently effective but
also drastic way to reduce spam seems to be to just turn off your mail
server or account for a week.  I'm told the spam drops by 90 percent.

     I know I have a huge anti-spam .procmilrc with tons of signatures
I've gleened from this crap.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  And we
run MailScanner which is actually pretty good at catching most of it.
But no where near all of it.  And it's starting to take serious CPU to
get through my filter, body searches are tough.

     So I thought it might be helpful if an unknown user bounce could
be simulated and the mail returned as such.  Don't know how much it
would help or even if.  Thought it might be worth a shot though.

     Thanks.  And if anyone has a better idea I'm listening.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chris Johnson |Internet: johnson(_at_)nmr(_dot_)mgh(_dot_)harvard(_dot_)edu
Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA |cleaner minds.  Will Rogers